Monday, March 9, 2009

Huskies crush Navs in game 4

I'm not even really sure where to start about tonight's game. The Huskies are MUCH better on home ice than they are on the road. That isn't a revelation to anyone at this point but who knew they were this good at home. A 12-1 thrashing of North Peace in game 4 tonight has put the Huskies back into the driver seat in their series with the Navs. 4 goals from Dan Pappin plus the second line chipping in with a bunch of goals. You get the idea. If you want a full rundown head to www.energeticcity.ca/huskies.

The Huskies got a lot of goals from a lot of places and I know it might seem like they ran up the score but the 4th line was out on the power play and Coach Bob rolled his four lines. The kids even stopped celebrating their goals so as not to rub the Navs faces in it. The PP was 5 for 5 and it seemed that every lucky bounce was going the way of the Huskies. When they play on home ice they seem to get the breaks. Loose pucks find their way onto Husky sticks and shots find the top corner rather then whistling just over the bar. They say you earn your breaks though and the Huskies do play well on home ice and do earn those breaks.

The game did get a little ugly in the last minute as Kyle Porter went after Gerry Young. This is where I am torn about what to write. I know Kyle Porter fairly well obviously and I know what a good kid he is. I also know that the Huskies feel that Young runs around dishing out cheap shots and particularly head shots (Kole Norris for one at the end of the regular season and Robby Sidhu a young midget call up who Young went after with a high hit tonight) and doesn't back it up by dropping the gloves. You can read a recent post on the Whitecourt blog if you want to read a good rant about head shots and not backing up your cheap shots with a fight.

So Porter was sent out to get some pay back. Perhaps he didn't go about it in the right though as he jumped Young after cross checking the Navs forward. You just can't jump a guy when he is down on the ice. Even if he is pretending to be hurt. For a guy who dishes out a lot of stick work Young does seem to spend an awful lot of time on the ice or looking at the ref when he gets a shot back. Porter as I said is a good kid and plays a certain role as a 4th liner and has to play a certain way to stay in the lineup. He has a job to do and a role to play and he plays it. But as I said it is unacceptable to jump a guy who is down on the ice. That's my on the record opinion anyway and I will leave it at that.

Apparently Cash Brinkworth wanted to go with Gaydosh as the final seconds ticked off the clock but Gaydosh wanted none of the big Husky. It will be very interesting to see what happens in game 5 Wednesday night. I think Gaydosh wants a piece of Porter but I would be surprised if the FSJ forward avoids a suspension. I think the coaching staff of the Huskies did a great job when they pulled Wongstedt off the ice with about 15 seconds left. Payden is way too good to have him getting involved in any extra curricular activities. And you know he wanted a piece of someone. Wongstedt will always stick up for his teammates. Sometimes in the wrong way though and you can't afford to have him suspended in the playoffs.

I will find a way to get to the bottom of why the Huskies are so good on home ice. And once I do I will bottle it and make a fortune. Maybe it's the home cooking. I am not sure but once I find out I will let you know.

No comments: