Thursday, January 29, 2009

Team Canada and the ruskies

I am going to post a preview of tonight's Flyers versus Grand Prairie game but I need to get something off of my chest. I am really getting sick and tired of people going on and on about the Russian team and how scary good they will be at the next Olympics. First of all they will be good. There is no doubt they have the top end talent. Do they have the depth? That's an interesting question, I mean with the way Ovechkin plays the game there are no guarantees he will be healthy for the Olympics, and will Russia be scary good without him? Probably not as scary. But even if every team is healthy, isn't there one other team that is not only scary good but has incredible depth? That's right Canadians, there is one country that fits that description and guess what, that country is Canada. Iginla, Crosby, Thornton, Marleau, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Lecavalier, Nash, Getzlaf, Perry, Marc Savard, Doan, Gagne, Heatley, Spezza, Staal, Cammalleri, Toews, I could go on and on. That's not to mention Boyle, Phaneuf, Green, Bouwmeester, Weber, a handful of guys in Chicago who are shut down type guys plus Campbell is a stud having a slightly off year. Notice I didn't include Pronger or Neidermayer. We have the best goalie in the world and guys like Mason and Price are up and coming guys who could back up not to mention Gigeure and Turco. Let's be honest I probably forgot a handful of guys who could be on this team. What I am trying to say is while the other countries will have good teams and Russia might, might, have more high end talent I don't like that people focus on how good the other countries are and they forget to talk about how good our country is. And you do have to factor in the home town crowd and the physical nature of that team especially on the back end. Will Canada win gold? Who knows. Are Russia scary good? Sure. Is Canada scary good? Absolutely. And let's not forget it.

No comments: